Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Broken toes and other stuff

Before I get to the really important stuff, I'd like to let all my readers know how I'm going to handle Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I don't want to spoil things for anyone who really wants to find out about the book on their own, but I will be posting on it.

So, I'm not going to post what I think about the book for a week. That should give all the really gung-ho fans a chance to read it and find out the ending on their own. I will also make it very clear what I'm posting about, and not put any spoilers in the first few paragraphs, so that if you do want to avoid spoilers, you should be able to.

I hope this seems fair. I want to talk about the book, but I don't want to spoil it for any of you, either.

Now, on to more important things, namely, my husband's toe. On Sunday night, he was playing catch with a football with some of his relatives, all while not wearing shoes. He ran for a catch and collided with his uncle, smashing his toe into his uncle's shoe. This hurt his toe quite a bit, as could be expected. There was a lot of discussion that night about whether it was broken, or just jammed.

The next day, the toe started bruising pretty nicely. My husband would sit and look at it, pull the toe from left to right to see which hurt more, and generally just be fascinated by this toe. I really think it was good that he hurt his toe, rather than me hurting mine. I'd be irritated by how much it hurt; he thinks it's really cool that he might have broken it.

Today, the bruising is even more pronounced. He decided he wanted to take pictures of it for posterity, so I acted as photographer and took pictures in several different locations to get the best light on the bruises. After much discussion, we decided that this was the picture that best shows the bruising and the swelling:


In case you can't tell, it's the left toe that's hurt. My husband wasn't very happy, though, because none of the pictures really showed the injured toe as he hoped they would. He went into Photoshop to try to monkey with the shading, to make the bruises more pronounced. But that would have taken a lot of time and effort (and let's face it, it's a picture of a toe, not the Mona Lisa). So instead, he just used effect filters on the pictures to see what would happen. This fractal version of his toe is the best he came up with:


It's oddly fascinating, yet I can't look away. If we get better pictures later, I'll post them :) I'm sure you're all waiting anxiously for them, right?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"I really think it was good that he hurt his toe, rather than me."

I had to reread that sentence a few times. Even though I knew what you meant, I kept thinking about domestic violence. hehehe.

Unknown said...

I had the same reaction to that sentence. I was SURE you didn't mean what I thought I read... And I find the fractal version really revolting. The original is bad enough!

And I think your plan for the book is fair. Good of you to post your plan, so nobody can claim they weren't warned.

Teranu said...

Oops lol. I fixed the sentence so hopefully it's more clear!

Unknown said...

Ahhh. MUCH better.