Wednesday, June 6, 2007

America's Got What Now?

It just seemed like a giant colon gone berserk.--David Hasselhoff

I'm not really sure why I watch America's Got Talent. It's a pretty brutal show, to be honest. I think part of why I enjoy it is seeing all the things that people consider talents. Take last night's season premiere, for example. You had people dancing, singing, swinging on sheets hung from the ceiling, playing musical instruments, doing ventriloquy, making pets do crazy tricks, cheerleading, and impersonating Elvis. Oh yeah, and you can't forget the brothers who made their pecs move in time to music. And then there was the guy inside the neon-colored Slinky-like tube, that sort of undulated all over the stage, prompting the above quote. It was quite a collection of, well, freaks.

The two groups that made it to the next stage that I really liked were both musical groups. One was a group of three young women called "Southern Girls" and the other was a group of three young men called "Rascals." Both showed an ability to harmonize that actually smacked of talent. The women had good voices, and while the men's voices weren't as strong, I thought their idea of young people singing old hits was a cool one. Although their rhinestone-studded jackets have to go.

The one act that got through that I really, really, really hated was the last one--a saxophone player who calls himself Mr. Big. He's awful. His sax playing isn't anything great, the song he chose is cliché, and the stuff that he does that he calls "dancing" or perhaps "performing" is just terrible, but somehow, all three of the judges mistook it for "taking control of the stage." Ugh. My only thought is that they have to let a few freaks through to later stages, to keep that crazy factor in there. But boy, do I hope this guy gets kicked out early.

Two more general thoughts about the show. I found myself agreeing almost consistently with Piers Morgan, the judge who's supposed to be the Simon Cowell-type character on the show. Both Sharon Osbourne (whom I like way more than Brandy last season, by the way) and David Hasselhoff berate Morgan for not being nicer, but in my opinion, he's the voice of reason in a contest dumbed down by mediocre act after mediocre act. Stick to your guns, Piers.

The other thing is about the child contestants, and connects back to something I said the other day, about how you can't have it both ways. A lot of these kids get up on stage, perform pretty well for someone who is 10, and then expect to be praised for being precocious . Then, when Piers tells them that they're terrible and treats them as he would an adult, he gets yelled at for not being nicer to a kid. Hey Kids--either you're a legitimate contestant, and should expect to be treated as such, or you should get your "good-for-a-10-year-old" act back to the county fair where it belongs. I think it's for this reason that I would really like to see an age limit in the contest. I'm extremely tired of seeing kids marching up on stage who think they're the next great thing, but whose singing/dancing/musicianship/etc. wouldn't hold a candle to any mildly talented adult. You don't award someone $1 million for being good for a kid; you award them $1 million for being great. Period.

Sorry, rant off. Anyways, the tryouts move to LA next week. I'll keep you posted about what wackos and/or talented people they manage to dig up. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Plugdo said...

My gawd. After reading this I don't think I ever need to see this show. Ever. Yet strangly I find myself saddened that you didn't mention it's timeslot and my I find my hands reaching for the TV Guide.

Thanks.

No, really, thanks. :)

Teranu said...

Tuesdays on NBC, 8/7c.

You're welcome :)