Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Nice work Bryce and Milam!!

Well, it's the time of year when high school seniors' thoughts turn to graduation--mortarboards, tassels, endless speeches, the cool gifts that they'll get from family and friends, and diplomas. And in my hometown of Stevens Point, Wisconsin, they also think about the senior class prank.

In past years, the prank has ranged from really lame (my year) to pretty cool (3 years before me) to extremely awesome (rumors). My year, the seniors at SPASH (Stevens Point Area Senior High) apparently released birds into the fieldhouse. But I never saw them, and they were cleared out before the graduation ceremony. Lame.

A few years before I graduated, the seniors released all the mice and rats from the biology classrooms into the school. In my opinion, this was a pretty good prank in terms of disruptiveness and future potential for grossness. Not bad.

The best prank I'd heard of, until this year, was just a rumor of one class, years ago, that had brought a cow into the school and led it upstairs into the library. The best part of the prank? Cows go up stairs, but not down. No word on how the cow was gotten out of the library, but if it were true, this would have been a kick-ass prank.

Enter this year, the class of 2007. Some unidentified seniors rearranged the letters on the fieldhouse that originally said "SPASH Panthers" to say "ASS Panthers." Pretty good, in and of itself, although I think they're ripping off a similar prank my brother pulled years ago.

But the best part of it is that two guys, unrelated to the original prank, capitalized on this and made shirts that said "Ass Panther Pride" that had a picture of a panther jumping out of a butt. Bryce Patton and Milam Smith managed to sell 80 copies of the shirt before they were caught. High school administrators made them collect the shirts until after graduation, so they wouldn't appear during the ceremony.

I gotta say--this is awesome. I would really love one of these shirts, and if anyone can get one for me, I'd really appreciate it. But the best part is that this is finally a SPASH senior prank that shows creativity and will leave a lasting mark, without defacing school property (at least the t-shirt part of it).

My hat is off to you, Bryce and Milam! And congratulations on your graduation!

No comments: