Sunday, April 22, 2007

How do you break up with someone at sea?

I read an article today about this couple in New York who set sail for a 1000-day non-stop sailing voyage around the world. This trip would break the record for the longest non-stop trip by almost a year. An impressive effort, certainly. But after reading the article, an number of things struck me as potentially troublesome.
  • The guy--Reid Stowe--is 55. His girlfriend--Soanya Ahmad--is only 23. Now, this is probably very unfair on my part, but this screams trouble to me. I know they've been together for 4 years, but a 32-year age gap seems like a big challenge for any couple to overcome. What if, halfway through the trip, they decide things aren't going to work out? Do they break up? How do you break up with someone on a boat that's only 70 feet long? You can't really avoid them. And not speaking to them doesn't really seem to be an options, since not saying "Watch out for the boom!" could be fatal.
  • Another big problem is Soanya's sailing experience. She has never been out to sea. Ever. The article says that she has only been sailing on the Hudson. Holy. Cow. I don't even know where to start on that one.
  • But for me, the most troubling thing by far about this voyage is the books these two are bringing. They are bringing the collected works of Joseph Conrad and every book written by Herman Melville. The thought of reading nothing but Moby Dick and Heart of Darkness for 3 years is enough to make me want to throw myself overboard.
And that's before I add seasickness and romantic troubles to the equation...

No comments: