Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Wild Win!

I like hockey, and I'm definitely a Minnesota Wild fan. It's just that...well, I forget to watch the games. Or I don't have time. Or something. So, even though I've only really been watching during the playoffs, I don't think it's accurate to call me a fair-weather fan, because I like the Wild regardless of how they do, and I like to watch the games during the regular season (when I remember they're on).

Regardless of what kind of fan that makes me, I have been watching the playoffs, and going into tonight's game, I was sad, because it seemed that the Wild's Stanley Cup dreams were at an end. And then the most amazing thing happened. In spite of the refs, and the Wild's inability to score on a powerplay, they scored one goal. And then another. And another. And another!!! All while the Ducks only scored one :)

To be honest, the score should have been 5-0. The goal the Ducks scored was on a powerplay against Veilleux of the Wild that was complete bull. Yes, he was fighting. And then, he gets sucker punched in the side of the head! Does that get called? Of course not. But his continued fighting does. Baloney.

The Wild's last goal also got called back because a Wild player was allegedly in the crease (for too long, perhaps? I'm fuzzy on this rule...). I'm not sure if he was or if he wasn't, but if that's going to get called, and some of the other offenses against the Wild aren't going to get called, that's nonsense. Quite impressive that the Wild beat not only the Ducks, but the refs as well.

And the game got pretty dirty at the end. Thornton jumped Hall, and Johnsson got dropped in an unbelievable display of unsportsmanlike conduct. Sure, the Wild had their share in starting fights, but they kept it clean. You know it's a crazy game when it ends with a 5 minute Minnesota powerplay and the crowd of 19,000 shouting for Boogaard.

Hey Ducks--if this is the only way you can win, take your nonsense back to California. We'll see you there.

No comments: