Friday, April 27, 2007

Thoughts on The Office Last Night

Overall, I think it was a great episode. I laughed out loud at several lines, and I think the opening and closing bits were quite clever. Particularly Dwight getting Jim back (or trying to), because I didn't see it coming.

Other thoughts:
  • I really don't like Creed anymore. I used to think he was pretty funny because he was so weird, and I thoughts his kleptomaniac habits were harmless and added to his weird personality. But last night, I actually felt violently angry towards him. This man has no conscience. He gets a woman fired when it's all his fault, he pretends he has nothing to do with her getting fired, gets her a fake sympathy card, and steals the money his coworkers put inside. Really nice.
  • I was pretty impressed by Kelly, though. She was having a lot of fun torturing the accounting department, and seemed to be completely aware of what she was doing. I think there may be more to Kelly that what meets the eye.
  • I like how there was nothing about romance in this episode. If the show is going to resist turning into one of those "will-they-or-won't-they" type deals, it needs to shift the focus away from the Pam/Jim relationship and onto other things. Last night was a great example of how that could work very successfully.
  • One of the big things I'm wondering: What the heck is Jan going to say about all this? We didn't hear anything from her all episode, not even when Michael chases Mrs. Allen out of the office, telling her he's going to call the "biotch bureau" on her.
  • And finally, my other big question: Is there actually a chance that Michael is going to get fired? It was hinted at by Mrs. Allen calling for him to resign, and the lack of any word from corporate makes me wonder if something like this is coming. If he does, in fact, get fired, does that mean the end of The Office? The British series ended with David Brent, the Michael-like character, getting fired, and honestly, the show wouldn't be at all the same without Steve Carell. If this is what's coming, I have to say, they've done a good job keeping it quiet. And honestly, I would be glad to see the show end on a high note, when it was still very funny and hadn't resorted to more sitcom-like plots to keep viewers interested.
By the way: Happy birthday, Mom! :)

1 comment:

Plugdo said...

I thought the episode was good, but that they left the high school thread just sort of hanging. I thought more would happen with the girlfriend and the principal.

Have I mentioned that I hate Drew? Changing his name from Andy will not trick me into liking him. :)