Thursday, May 10, 2007

Current events....

Two stories in the news yesterday caught my attention...well, three, actually. I was pretty impressed with Queen Elizabeth II poking fun at W., so she gets the Quote of the Week slot.

The first one is pretty awful, actually. Two vegans were sentenced to life in prison for starving their infant son to death. According to the AP story, they fed their son a diet of mostly soy milk and apple juice, which led to him losing weight. When he died, he was 3 1/2 pounds. I have no idea how these parents couldn't have noticed that something was wrong, as they claim, but that's not why I'm writing about this. The question inspired by this story is this:

Does human milk--that is, breast milk--count as an animal product that would go against the commitment to be vegan?

It seems to me that if the mother had just breast-fed the baby, this entire tragedy could have been avoided. But I would be interested in knowing if the couple chose not to breast-feed the baby because of their vegan diet. And would it make a difference that the mother was willingly giving her milk, as opposed to cows or goats who have little say in the matter?

The other story that caught my interest is much less depressing. Three Lithuanian students broke into a zoo and climbed a 10-foot wall into the giraffe enclosure, where the giraffe "flew into a rage" and beat the crap out of them. Well, not really. One of the students got a broken collarbone and a broken nose, but the other two were ok.

Yes, they were drunk.

I think this introduces an interesting possibility--attack giraffes! Keep them at the entrance to your home, and they'll not only keep your trees trimmed, but they'll ward off intruders! I've taken the liberty of drawing up a prototype:
Cool, huh?

Btw...good luck to S. on your final final of the semester!

1 comment:

Plugdo said...

The attack giraffe looks like a cross between a terrorist and Groucho Marx. Good work! I'll take 3!