Saturday, May 12, 2007

Penultimate episodes from the past week

Next week, two of my favorite shows are having their season finale, and in fact, for the Gilmore Girls, it will be the series finale. I'm mildly sad about that, mostly because I'm not sure the writers had the chance to wrap everything up the way they wanted to (or the way Amy Sherman-Palladino had envisioned from the show's beginning) since from what I can tell, the news of it being canceled came after the finale two episodes were filmed.

Since there's not a whole lot I can do to change that, I'll just enjoy these final episodes.

For Gilmore Girls, I enjoyed the episode. I loved Logan's proposal, to be honest, and thought it was incredibly sweet and romantic. I think it showed a lot of courage on Rory's part to say no--going with him would be the safe thing to do, but she didn't want that. She wanted to jump on her own, which to me, shows that she's grown up a lot. Don't get me wrong--I really wished that she'd said yes, because I like Logan and Rory as a couple, but I can appreciate the aspect of Rory's character that the writers are trying to show. I think part of me is also holding out a little hope that Logan will reverse his silly "all-or-nothing" position and show up for the finale.

I also found Luke a little frustrating this episode. Sure, Lorelai told Miss Patty and Babette that her song meant nothing, but what did he expect her to say? Did he expect her to declare her endless love for him--even more than she already did--all over town before she even talked to him about it? The "it meant nothing" schtick is pretty standard to say when you're not sure how the other one feels. Anyways, judging from the preview for next week, it ends up being moot, but still, I wish Luke had been slightly more understanding, and given Lorelai the necklace.

Now, as far as The Office goes, I simply loved it.

For me, honestly, the highlight of the episode was the sumo wrestling suits. I simply did not see that coming. And it totally cracked me up. Stanley completely charging Jim, Dwight in general, and of course, Andy ending up floating in the pond--it was all hilarious. I especially liked the way the camera guys found him, and then just left him there. I wonder if he'll be back next week. *crosses fingers*

And of course, Pam's adrenaline-inspired confession was wonderful. I was reading the NBC message boards about the episode, and someone called it "selfish." I couldn't disagree more. She wasn't giving anyone an ultimatum, and she wasn't demanding that anyone change. She didn't call for Jim to break up with Karen and come back to her. All she was doing was saying how she felt, and leaving it up to each individual as to how they would respond. Needless to say, the look on Jim's face gave me a lot of hope that the fun dynamic that I really loved between him and Pam--romance completely aside--is on the way back.

I also thought it was great how everyone on the bus was totally into singing. Cracked me up :)

Next week should be interesting! Stay tuned!

No comments: