Friday, May 18, 2007

Season finales, take 2

Ok, I watched 2 season finales last night--The Office and Scrubs.

I was kind of disappointed, to be honest. I was expecting bigger cliffhangers, or at least ones that weren't expected. And I expected Jim and Pam to get together, and I expected something to happen with Elliot and J.D. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy that both those things happened, but I could see it coming. I always like a good surprise in the season finale, especially when it's as hyped and secretive as much as The Office's finale was.

The rest of this post is mostly about The Office, since I don't watch Scrubs consistently enough to feel like I can comment on the relative greatness of the episode. Sorry, Scrubs fans.

Back to the lack of surprises. There were two things that surprised me in The Office finale--Jan getting fired and Ryan getting the job at corporate. So maybe what I meant is that I wanted something more dramatic to happen with Pam and Jim.

I was also kind of disappointed by the general lack of funniness in the episode tonight. There was a lot of drama, but nothing that made me really laugh out loud. There was one thing, but I forget it now. Dwight, who's usually good for a laugh, wasn't really up to par. Andy was irritating. Michael was awkward (without really being funny), Jan was dramatic, and Karen was an unpleasant word that rhymes with snitch. Yes, I know there are those of you who like her, but I don't like what she said about Pam, I don't like how she's so demanding of Jim, and I don't like how she just sort of left Jim at corporate to go do her own thing, without really sounding sincere in her support of him. I was also irritated that Oscar made fun of Pam for her speech last week, when he was one of the people who criticized her for not being courageous/honest in the first place. Stupid Oscar. And, as long as I'm being picky, I don't like Jim's new haircut. I think he was cuter the other way. (Yes, I know that's superficial. I don't care.)

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Jan is pregnant? Let's see...she has bigger boobs, mood swings, and she wants to stay home and wear stretch pants. She explained away the first two (surgery and medication), but what if it's a cover-up? The last thing is what really made me wonder if something more is going on with Jan than she's letting on.

But, to end on a happy note, the look on Pam's face when Jim came in at the end was almost worth the whole season of seeing her upset every time Jim and Karen interacted. And I appreciated how her note to Jim mirrored Tim's note to Dawn in the original British series. It gives me hope that this reunion is for keeps. To use a word from the TwoP forums, Squeee!

Can't wait til next season :)

1 comment:

Plugdo said...

Did you ever watch the German show? I'd be interested in hearing what that one is like compared to the other two.