Tuesday, May 8, 2007

My favorite casserole

This is a recipe that my mom made when I was growing up, and I love it. It came from the Betty Crocker cookbook, and is one of my favorites to make now that I have my own kitchen. My husband's brother goes deer hunting, and ground venison is a great, lean substitute for ground beef. Ground turkey works well, also.

Hamburger-Cheese Bake, aka Poor Man's Lasagna

1
pound ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce
1 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 c. uncooked medium noodles (I use egg noodles)
1 c. small curd cottage cheese
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. sour cream
1/3 cup sliced green onion
1/4 c. chopped green pepper (I leave these out...I don't like green peppers in casseroles very much)
1/4 c. shredded Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, cook meat and onion till meat is lightly browned and onion is tender. Stir in tomato sauce, sugar, salt, garlic salt, and pepper. Remove from heat. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, green onion, and green pepper.

Spread half the noodles in an 11x7 inch baking pan; top with a little of the meat sauce. Cover with cheese mixture. Add remaining noodles and meat sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: